The ABCs of Cord Safety: Protecting Your Loved Ones with Window Treatments
At Made In The Shade Eastern Iowa, we understand that the right window treatments can enhance the beauty and functionality of your living spaces. Whether you’re looking for blinds, shades, or curtains, we offer a wide range of options to suit your style and needs. While aesthetics and light control are essential, safety should always be a top priority when it comes to window treatments. In this blog, we’ll discuss the importance of cord safety and how you can protect your loved ones from potential hazards.
Cord Safety Matters
It’s crucial to recognize that cords on window treatments, such as blinds and shades, pose a potential risk, especially to children and pets. Cords can become a hazard when they dangle within reach, and curious little hands or paws can easily become entangled. The consequences of cord accidents can be tragic, and that’s why we emphasize the importance of cord safety at Made In The Shade Eastern Iowa.
Understanding the Risks
Before we delve into safety measures, it’s essential to understand the potential dangers that corded window treatments can pose:
- Strangulation: Children can accidentally get entangled in window treatment cords, leading to serious injury or even death. The cords can form loops or knots, creating a dangerous situation.
- Choking Hazard: Small components like cord stoppers and tassels can pose a choking hazard to infants and toddlers.
- Falling Hazards: Corded blinds can pose a risk when pulled, causing the entire treatment to fall, potentially injuring anyone underneath.
Taking Preventative Measures
- Cordless Options: At Made In The Shade Eastern Iowa, we offer a variety of cordless window treatment options, such as cordless blinds and shades. These treatments use innovative technology to allow for easy operation without the need for cords. With cordless window treatments, you can eliminate the risk of entanglement and make your home safer for your loved ones.
- Cord Safety Devices: For those who already have corded window treatments, it’s crucial to install cord safety devices. These devices can include cord cleats, cord tensioners, and tie-downs that keep cords securely out of reach.
- Regular Inspections: Make it a habit to inspect your window treatments regularly. Ensure cords are properly secured, and if you notice any damaged or frayed cords, replace them immediately. Broken cords can be more prone to forming dangerous loops or knots.
- Keep Furniture Away: Arrange your furniture and cribs away from windows to prevent children from climbing and reaching the cords.
- Educate Your Family: Teach your children about the potential dangers of window treatment cords and why they should never play with or touch them. Creating awareness can help keep your loved ones safe.
- Seek Professional Installation: When purchasing window treatments from Made In The Shade Eastern Iowa, opt for professional installation. Our experts have the knowledge and experience to ensure your window treatments are installed with safety in mind.
The importance of cord safety has prompted governments to introduce regulations and standards. The Window Covering Manufacturers Association (WCMA) has been actively working to improve window treatment safety. In 2018, a new industry standard for corded window coverings went into effect, which mandated cord safety features and warning labels on products. By adhering to these standards, you can have peace of mind knowing that your window treatments are designed with safety in mind.
At Made In The Shade Eastern Iowa, we are dedicated to providing you with the most stylish and safe window treatment options. Cord safety is a top priority, and we are committed to helping you make informed choices that protect your family. If you have any questions about cord safety or are interested in cordless window treatment options, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Your loved ones’ safety is our concern, and we’re here to help you create a beautiful and secure living space.